SMS Equipment Introduces New Komatsu GD655-7 Motor Grader
Acheson, Alberta - SMS Equipment Inc., is now offering the new Komatsu GD655-7 motor grader, equipped with a Tier 4 Final certified emissions-regulations-compliant engine. This model is designed to significantly reduce operator fatigue and increase productivity.
said Komatsu Senior Product Manager, Bruce Boebel.
"Operators will appreciate the low-effort operation and steering levers, transmission controls as well as the articulation stop-at-center feature that simplifies use." An example is the blade control system incorporates new low effort electronic control levers which enable the operator to use one hand for multiple controls. The location of the operator controls also improves operator comfort. SMS Equipment supports the new Komatsu graders through Komatsu CARE, which provides scheduled maintenance for the first 2,000 hour or three years. This includes a 50-point inspection at each service and two complimentary Komatsu diesel particulate filter (KDPF) exchanges in the first five years. Trained SMS Equipment technicians perform the services at the owner's convenience to eliminate costly downtime.
Enhancements to the cab of the GD655-7 feature:
- A slightly smaller but "right-sized" steering wheel, which delivers more visibility and room and is convenient for long "blade-up and roading" trips.
- A steering lever that allows operators to keep hands on the low-effort equipment levers and make small steering adjustments while at work, without the need to turn the steering wheel.
- A high-capacity, air-suspension seat to soften machine vibrations.
- A new stop-at-center articulation feature that simplifies operation.
- Highly adjustable arm rests and consoles with power raise and lower functions as well as mechanical fore/aft adjustments to precisely fit user preferences.
- A new operator presence monitoring system that alerts the operator if they leave the seat without properly locking the controls.
New performance features of the motor grader include:
- A transmission shift lever with a finger-operated forward-neutral-reverse switch that reduces required hand movement.
- Komatsu power-shift transmission that was designed and specifically built for Komatsu graders and delivers on-the-go, full-power shifting.
- Exclusive dual-mode transmission, which enables the high travel speeds and reduced fuel consumption of a direct drive, as well as the increased tractive effort and control of a torque converter.
- An inching pedal to give the operator precise control of machine movement.
"The GD655-7 is grade-control ready, with no aftermarket valve required," Boebel noted. "Additionally, it has two standard five-section hydraulic control valves that enable the addition of attachments and are strategically located to improve forward visibility."
Standard features under the hood of the GD655-7 include:
- An EPA, Tier 4 Final, 218 hp, SAA6D107-3 engine that is certified-emissions regulations-compliant.
- A 2-mode, 3-stage, variable horsepower control with the option to select the appropriate mode for optimal fuel savings.
- KDPF and other after-treatment components, designed for efficiency and long life.
- Passive KDPF regeneration of 98 percent, with no operator action required and no interference with machine operation.
"This is a highly productive machine and a solid choice for anyone who uses a motor grader for construction, road building, snow clearing or other applications," said Boebel.
SMS Equipment partners with world-renowned brands including Komatsu, providing equipment sales and services to the construction, mining, forestry and utility industries through its network of over 35 branches across Canada, Alaska and Mongolia. SMS Equipment promotes advanced equipment technologies resulting in cleaner, more efficient ways to build communities, create infrastructure and develop resources.